Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Movie Adaptations: Hunger Games and Mortal Instruments

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't do a Manga Monday post yesterday. FAIL! :D I'm sure you'll survive.
I have a question before I get to my actual topic: Does anyone have any debut novel suggestions? I need to read 4 more before 2011. My debut post is here but I haven't acquired any of those TBR ideas so I can still change them.

Now on to the post. I read the Hunger Games trilogy over the last 6 months or so, and just read the Mortal Instruments trilogy a couple weeks ago. Both of these best-selling series have been optioned for film. Both of these trilogies are not my fave books ever, but I would definitely enjoy seeing parts of them on-screen. Below are the things I'm most looking forward to or most dreading from these film adaptations.

The Hunger Games
Character I'm most looking forward to seeing: I'm betting Haymitch is going to be AWESOME, and I don't have enough emotional attachment to him that I'll be pissed off if they "do him wrong." If they do things right, I will most look forward to seeing Cinna. :D
Scene/chapter I'm most looking forward to seeing: Probably the first time Katniss gets made over by the prep team and Cinna, and Cinna's outfits in general. If you want me to face facts, I sorta read all three books for Cinna. XD
Something I'm dreading/fearing in the movie: the heavy criticism of war and the media. I respected Collins for being so hardcore on these themes, but in a movie version, I'm afraid they'll cheesify it, over-do it, or worse, completely ignore it. I also think the zombie-dog part is going to be FREAKY.

The Mortal Instruments
Character I'm most looking forward to seeing: Magnus Effing Bane. XD Easy. Or if you want a not-easy answer, probably Isabelle and her whip. :)
Scene/chapter I'm most looking forward to seeing: Fighting Abaddon, the Greater Demon. That fight scene was legit and all the characters had little jolly moments (except maybe Isabelle. Huh.). OR Magnus Bane's party, because it's hilarious in every way.
Something I'm dreading/fearing in the movie: I almost read these books completely for Magnus Bane (I AM REALLY SEEING A THEME HERE), so if they mess him up or make him, too, well, TOO MUCH, I will be really pissed off. I am also kinda worried the movies will be made on a Twilight level: over-dramatized, insanely publicized but not very good movies. Although I think TMI has better source material than Twilight.

What about you guys? What adaptations are you looking forward to? How would you answer these questions?

Upcoming posts:
Mockingjay Thoughts
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White review
The Rise of Renegade X by Chelsea Campbell review

3 comments:

Snazel said...

Tenners?
Bleeding Violet, by Dia Reeve, is apparently trippy as all get out, and good.

People liked Magic Under Glass (Magic Under, #1), by Jaclyn Dolamor?

I want to read Other, by Karen Kincy, The Iron Thorn, by Caitlin Kittredge, and The Dark Days of Hamburger Halpin, by Josh Berk.

Nightshade, by Andrea Cremer, is getting a LOT of great press, if you like werewolves and arranged marriage.

Heheheh, there's always Personal Demons, by Lisa Desrochers, for some hellishly good times.

I'm leaning towards looking into The DUFF, by Kody Keplinger? I probably shouldn't. But it sounds so good?

And while Minder, by Kate Kaynak, has a TERRIBLE cover, I'm hearing good things about it from abroad.

Bahnree said...

Have ALL of those been optioned for movies already???? O.O

Snazel said...

Oh NO. I was just answering your first question. *cough*