Tuesday, February 06, 2007

You can either sit around worrying what's real and what's not, or you can realize the enemy hasn't got a clue either.

*Hangs head in shame* I haven't written for a few days.
But I've been reading, like crazy! And researching a little. So all in all, very productive for this whole writing thing I've engaged myself in. The books I've been reading have ranged from horrible to grand.
Medstar I: Battle Surgeons-Possibly the worst Star Wars book I've read, and that is definitely saying something. I didn't connect with the main characters, the bad guys were one-dimensional and given WAY too much screen-time, and apparently the author thought it would help to kill the one slightly interesting good character off at the end. Senseless literary killing, but what's worse is that I didn't even care enough about the character to be too disheartened. The good things in the book was the Sullustan reporter, and a couple of good thoughts that I'll post here or in my LJ.
Ella Enchanted-it was a kid's book, but a GOOD one! I was going "awww" the whole time. Call it pointless fluff if you must, but it was good pointless fluff. :D Plus for kids, it would probably have a point. I'm a little old and cynical to believe "and they lived happily ever after" but I really WANTED them to, so I'll suspend my disbelief.
Republic Commando: Hard Contact-This was a reread. I heart this book. Part of the reason I love it is because it doesn't rely on the popularity of Star Wars to sell itself. It's well-written, and the author doesn't even read Star Wars so she's unaffected by trends. It's more of a hard sf/military book. I love how it explores the moral issues of cloning people, and I also like how it (and it's sequel) gives the Old Republic the bashing they deserve. Seriously, how selfish, immoral, and corrupted can you GET? And they finally get yelled at by a SW author. Go Traviss! Hmm what else can I gush about in this book? Well, the cover is pretty....unlike Medstar and Ella Enchanted, which both have lame covers.

No comments: